2018 Fron Women of the ELCA and Service Units
The Women of Fron were under the direction of a leadership team for the fourteenth year. This year they were: Sue Anderson, Marilyn Booen and Cheryl Zempel. This is the third year having three on the team. Other Executive Board Officers: Sec. Ruby Aaberg, Treasurer Marvae Engebretson, Mission Growth Coordinator Barb Thue, Mission Action Coordinator Gine’ Hagestuen, Mission Action Asst. Darlene Harestuen.
• Educational Growth took place with 2 Bible Study Circles meeting in Jan. –March at the nursing home with CrossWind, June, July & Aug. at the park with CrossWind, April, May, Sept., Oct., Nov. & Dec. at Fron with Pr. Paul leading. Study for the year was from the”Gather” magazine. Circle members made the snacks instead of service unit. The group met at 10 am for coffee, WOF announcements and a business meeting if needed, followed by Bible study at 10:30. Concentration was on Bible study instead of having the monthly Ladies Aid programs.
• Women of Fron activities:
• April - 6 high school seniors picked out their quilts on Quilt Sunday. Each quilt was labeled from Fron.
WOF hosted GR Women of ELCA spring conference. Sarah’s Harmony gave the program, “God Says.”
• June- Thrivent Action Team event-made 13 fleece blankets, given to LWR at Willmar Convention-blankets went to Barkina Faso in NW Africa.
Sue Anderson was delegate to the SW MN Synodical Women’s Convention at Willmar.
Seven ladies attended one day of “Women’s Week” at Luther Crest Bible Camp.
Donuts for Dads were served on Father’s Day during coffee time.
August-New refrigerator donated by anonymous person.
Feed My Starving Children-Morris packing event-6 CrossWind volunteers including 3 from Fron.
• Oct.- Seven ladies attended the Glacial Ridge Fall Conference at Trinity Lutheran, Clinton.
Eleven ladies attended Com. Ministry Fellowship at Barsness, hosted by Chip. Falls & Barsness.
. Nov.- Bibles were given to 4 third graders and 1 fourth grader.
Thank Offering was collected at Bible Study Circle.
• The Hand Quilters stitched a pair of quilts for Luther Crest Bible Camp Marketplace Extravaganza. Sewing Circle women made quilts which were donated to seniors and missions and 9 were sold.
• Mission Action, under Gine’ Hagestuen’s and Darlene Hagestuen’s leadership, contributed to the following:
Marie Sanvik Center: Only want cash donations-had one check for Marie Sanvik.
Lutheran World Relief: 38 quilts, 13 fleece blankets, 11 Fabric kits, 31 school kits.
Minnewaska Luthern Home: 11 quilts donated.
• Mission Community, congregation participation under leadership of Cheryl Zempel was involved in the following:
Hearts & Hands Food Shelf collections of food and monetary donations in Mar. & Nov.
Christian Literature Collection in May brought to the SW MN Synodical Women’s Convention.
Pope Co. Families in Need (8 quilts, 5 baby quilts, blankets, other items) in Sept.
Someplace Safe contributions of money and items in Oct.
• Fund raisers this year:
--.Jell-O Fest was held in May involving all Service Units for the third year. We served 130 people.
-- Bible Study Circles headed by Barb Thue held a morning Coffee Party in June with $746 to the Parking Lot Campaign.
-- Fall Harvest Supper in Sept. under leadership of Brenda Gilbertson & Barb Thue, served 344,
217 take-outs and deliveries making this a total of 561. Lots of donations. Profit $5,728.
-- Christmas Cookie Stroll, Dec. 3 with 113 buckets sold. Sue Anderson-chaired. 6900 cookies donated. $1957 profit.
--Sunday Morning Coffee Donations for Roof Fund (started in March 2015-$954) 2016-over $1,500.
• Service Units served 11 funerals this year.
• Other Community Ministry and Missions we participated in were: Feed My Starving Children, Christmas Care, Campus Ministry at UMM, hats/mittens made and distributed in the area, Luther Crest, Pope Co. Families in Need, Someplace Safe, Hearts & Hands Food Shelf, Prayer Shawl Ministry (20 distributed), Christmas food baskets for the Day Treatment School in Starbuck, Fron Pave The Way, Fron church needs and Fron Roof Repair Fund. $10,150 distributed to these ministries & missions.
Thanks to everyone for your willingness to serve. “God’s Work, Our Hands”